As we continue in our series on the importance of business blogs, we wanted to touch on a kind of post that is sometimes referred to as “link bait”.
The idea behind a post of this type is to say something so:
- controversial or
that people will feel compelled to link to it/share it with their friends/colleagues.
What is so important about links?
Links are great for two reasons:
- they help raise your rankings in the search engines and
- they bring a steady flow of new visitors to your website.
Here are some ideas to help you come up with highly linkable posts for your company blog.
Remember to do a Google search on a topic before you select it, to see what else has been written about it – the more unique your post is, the more traffic it will generate.
- Cover something controversial in your industry. Often the best tactic here is to summarise both sides of an issue and give some insight, without actually taking a side. If you do give an opinion, be prepared to defend it! Remember, we’re talking about a business blog here … if you decide to polarize people, first consider if this is in line with your branding.
- Create a controversy. If you disagree with something someone famous in your industry has said, say so. Start a debate (but be sure to keep the tone reasoned and professional).
- Make a “top ten” list that people will find handy. Lists like checklists, “best of” lists, and “worst of” lists are great topics that people enjoy sharing.
- Use your connections. Do you have a friend or family member who is famous? Publish an interview with them on a topic related to your industry. For instance, if you own a travel company, ask your famous uncle about his favorite vacations.
- Sponsor a charity event and tell everyone why you are passionate about this particular charity. Encourage others to pass the word along.
- Take a survey or poll of your clients or fellow industry professionals on a “hot” topic and publish the results.
- Report a newsworthy item first. Do you have the inside scoop on some news that those who follow your industry will find interesting? Drop everything and report it immediately.
- Say something funny. Have you had funny experiences in the course of your job? Strange clients? Embarrassing mishaps? If you have a knack for telling funny stories, be sure to relate them on your blog as well.
We hope this has helped you make a list of good topics for your next blog post. Stay tuned for our next post on how to make money on your blog.